Monday, September 18, 2006

 

The ACW Project: The First Confederate Unit




As promised, here are some pictures of the other 10mm project I have going. As you can see, the ACW figures show a bit more individuality and animation than the WSS figures, but that's as it should be, I suppose.

The Rebs are painted a bit more uniformly than others I've painted in the past. Current thinking is that the Confederates in the Eastern Theater were certainly ragged in 1862, but by 1863 they were much better dressed. Since I've decided to assemble forces to represent those present at Gettysburg in 1863, I thought I might as well go with this research in mind, so you won't see a lot of difference within a particular unit (other than differences in headgear and the odd shirt here and there), but I will paint the units in various shades of gray to indicate different sources of material for the uniforms. Also, it's generally believed that the oft-mentioned butternut color is actually the result of gray dyes fading and uniforms becoming dirty while on campaign. Another little factoid I've come across recently is that while the Rebels did make use of captured uniforms, these were often re-dyed to more closely match Confederate uniform colors, so you'll be seeing a lot fewer "sky blue" trousers on the Rebs than I might have painted before learning this.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?